For all its simplicity, the old house seems to realize the dignity of its
association with romance and its place in the hearts of men. It has not slouched after the manner of some old houses, but has held itself erect with the bearing
of calm firmness. It is situated on the Village Green, the center of Colonial East Hampton. The house, that has come to
embody the spirit of all that is tender and sweet in home, is modestly turned away from Main Street.
Home Sweet Home and its contents
exude a charm that is understood and felt the moment the visitor steps into the house. The fine 18th and 19th Century antiques, china and lustreware
appeal to our aesthetic and practical sensibilities. From 1907 to 1927, Mr. and Mrs. Gustav Buek owned and lived in the house and furnished every room with authentic period pieces as a shrine to John Howard Payne. Upon Mr. Buek's death, the village, by referendum, bought
the house and the collections and opened Home Sweet Home as a museum on December 15, 1928.
Click images above to see them enlarged